MAKSATICS movie making camp for kids
Maksatics Camp is a unique international filmmaking project in the United Kingdom for kids on ages 7-17 in Russian language rooted Maksatiha Club project.
This is the first residential camp in UK for Russian-speaking children designed to develop verbal social and communication behaviours between children by armature film production within London and Portsmouth setting. UK team of tutors and mentors from filmmaking industry, experienced working with children, ransfer the unique methodology of Maksatiha camp Russia Children’s filmmaking program, developed by the author of program and director of the Maksatics Ltd, Yulia Romanenkova. Some of UK staff has been successfully trained in Russia last seasons and spring session in 2016. International tutors improve children’s speaking skills and assist them in making films in two languages – Russian and English.
Filmmaking as a way of awakening interest in the Russian language showed its effectiveness not for the first time and a special method of training and entertaining was contributing to this for the April experience of Maksatics Camp.
This program is of particular importance in light of the cross-cultural year between Russia and United Kingdom. In short period of staying at the camp children activate all their knowledge and enjoy sharing their skills in a space warmly organized for that. In our camp children learn about themselves, other people and environment, which helps them to build a harmonious sense of community and friendship for life.
How does it work?
During one week children will take part in filmmaking and cartoon making, staging of performances, creative workshops for film makers and sports. Tutors will lecture about Russian culture and discuss with children remarkable theatre stages.
The number of participants is limited: 40-45 children on 8-16 ages. Russian speaking children come from Russia and Europe (no more than 20), 20-25 children are from UK. There will be 4 groups (10-14 children each) divided by gender and age. Each group will be looked after 2 team leaders. Rookesbury Park School offers a very nice accommodation in a beautiful english country side, where rooms are designed for 5-6 people.
Why is our program unique?
First of all, lack of communication hierarchy. There are no bosses and subordinates, children and adults. We are a single unit. Except adults take responsibility for children.
At second, children make films themselves. Every session of filmmaking is a different all the time, because it depends on participants, topics of stories children told and their experience. Shooting process is a game we all have agreed to play.
At third, independent of expressions and freedom of thoughts. A full immersion in the creative process allow children easily express their desire, thoughts, learn how to be free to speak, listen, create and tell stories to the friends.
At fourth, we offer a balanced set of educational and entertaining activities during the camp session. Our program consist of the art, filmmaking, sport and team building activities. Apart from acting, shooting, making a stage performances children can enjoy a country side, playing games and communicating with new international friends.
To educate and entertain children through the art of film-making. We endeavor to bring forth children’s innate ability to express themselves and their ideas through a variety of creative techniques.
- To educate and entertain children through the art of film-making. We endeavor to bring forth children’s innate ability to express themselves and their ideas through a variety of creative techniques
- To encourage a new generation of creative and intellectually developed children to find a different ways of solving tasks the modern world sets for them, staying in joy, communicating with friends and being kind to people around
- To teach children how to behave and achieve goals in our society through filmmaking arts
- To educate fully developed personality with a high level of morality and mutual respect and at same time healthy and active
- To focus on individuals in order to find and support their abilities for further physical and emotional growth
- To organize comfortable conditions of communication between children, teachers and staff
- To bring an exciting teaching-entertaining program for children able to turn into amazing experience according to their interests in filmmaking area, from idea to implementation
Who are our children?
Children on ages 7 -17 will find an activity in our camp which they will enjoy.
Experience and know-how
Maksatics camp is a family-owned project that has been successfully running since 2010. More than 1000 children took part in our program and our participants have produced over 40 short movies.
- We use film-making as a tool to explore the world
- Film-making is fun and exciting
- Film-making is the way of reflection and self-expression
- Kids learn professional and business skills
- Kids develop partnership and friendship
- International high-qualificated professional team with a huge successful experience of teaching children
- Developing creativity encourages both types of thinking, divergent (generating many unique ideas) and convergent (combining those ideas into the best result)
Comprehensive program includes:
Film-making: Working in team, they will create an idea, write the script, take part in casting of roles, film short-length features and make post-production with professional tutors.
Other activities: like team sports, social games, art workshops, music and dancing marathon and stage performances.
Methods and Tools:
- Team-building games
- Fun-fair of film-making professions presentation
- Games for the development of imagination and generating ideas
- The elements of fairy tale therapy and storytelling
- Acting workshops on self-development
- Movement practice (dance marathons, choreography)
- Teamwork during the quests
- Watching the best classic films – excerpts, analysis, discussion
- Theory and practical classes
- Team work on stage productions
- Evaluation and constructive criticism of the work